An early evening feast of carols and readings awaited approximately 140 people who supported the annual MK Chorale Christmas Concert on 17 December and as a bonus the choir decided to use the Willis organ. The choir sang at the East end of the church and coped well with the very slight sound time lag between choir and organ at that distance. They also used the grand piano for some of their pieces.
Victoria Ely had chosen a varied programme of traditional and unusual carols or songs which Stephen Meakins accompanied on the piano or organ.
- Star Carol (John Rutter) - with piano
- Carol Y Seren (Gareth Glyn) - with piano
- Reading: Christmas (John Clare) read by Will Swann
- In the bleak mid-winter (Harold Darke) - with organ
- Audience carol: Hark the Herald (Felix Mendelssohn, v3 arr David Willcocks) - with organ
The Shepherd's Farewell (Hector Berlioz) - with organ
- Reading: Music on a Christmas mroning (Anne Bronte) read by Juliet Gilliland
- Nativity Carol (John Rutter) - with organ
- Audience carol: O Come all ye Faithful (J F Wade, arr David Willcocks) - with organ
- There Shall a Star (Felix Mendelssohn) - with organ
- Reading: Yonder Pheasant (Mike Thomas) read by Karen Collcott
- Audience carol: Good King Wenceslas (from Piae Cantiones, arr David Willcocks) - with piano
- Glory to God in the Highest (Pergolesi) - with piano
- The First Noel (Dan Forrest) - with piano
- Reading: Christ's Nativity (Henry Vaughan) read by Mike Thomas
- Audience carol: Joy to the World (Lowell Mason, arr John Rutter) - with organ
- We wish you a merry Christmas - with organ
There was mulled wine and mince pies afterwards which Marilyn, Sue, Eilish, Nina and Anna helped serve.
More photos can be viewed in the album Christmas with the Chorale 2016
Words and photos by Anna Page