At St Mary & St Giles we've had a delicious treat today in the form of cream teas followed by 50 minutes of favourite opera pieces performed for us by 5 very talented musicians from Oxford and Cambridge.
Today it was the Stony Stratford Summer Fayre on Horsefair Green, so David and my elder daughter took a tray of a sample cream tea along there to encourage people to visit the church for refreshments, as a result from about 4.15 pm we had a steady stream of thirsty and hungry people consuming scones, jam, cream, cake and tea. Just before 6.00 pm I did a rough count of our takings, and there was over £200 in the basket.
Earlier that afternoon those of us who were setting up the cream teas got a preview of some of the opera being sung, as Alex Lloyd, Michael Duffy, Guy Hayward, Michael Davis and Richard Moore rehearsed, and I knew from what I heard that the concert would be good.
The programme was as follows:
- 'Ei, wie schmeckt der Coffee' from The Coffee Cantata (BWV211) by JS Bach
- 'Donne mie, le fate a tanti' from Cosi fan tutte by WA Mozart
- 'Crudel! Perche finora' and 'Hai gia vinta la causa' from The Marriage of Figaro by WA Mozart
- 'Du, feines Taubchen, nur herein' from The Magic Flute by WA Mozart
- 'Canzonetta' from Don Giovanni by WA Mozart
- 'Pastorello d'un povero armento' from Rodelinda by GF Handel
- 'Piangero' from Julius Caesar by GF Handel
- 'Ah, per spempre io ti perdei' from I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini
- 'Il mio Tesoro' from Don Giovanni by WA Mozart
- 'Papageno/Papagena Duet' from The Magic Flute by WA Mozart
The concert was free with a retiring collection for the organ fund. Over 70 people came to listen in addition to the organ team, Fr Ross and Fr Daniel. The total, including the money from the cream teas came to £756.32 including the gift aid donations.
I would like to thank everyone who helped with this event today, including the organ fund team who moved the piano, chairs, tables, set up and served the cream teas, and tidied away afterwards and everyone who made scones. I would especially like to thank Alex Lloyd for offering to bring her musical friends to St Mary & St Giles Church to sing and play the piano for the organ fund and Guy, Michael, Richard and Michael for your wonderful contribution - everyone I spoke to afterwards (including my 6 year old younger daughter) said it was really special.