We are very lucky at St Mary & St Giles to have recently welcomed our new Curate Fr Daniel Lloyd and his wife Alex to the parish. Fr Daniel was ordained Deacon at the beginning of July in our church, and last week Alex, who is a very good soprano, sang with the Parish Singers when they performed the Duruflé Requiem as a devotional piece.
When I mentioned to Alex that I was still looking for a performer for our August bank holiday summer evening concert which follows the cream teas, she immediately offered to round up some of her musical friends to provide a performing group, and as a result I am delighted to announce that we'll be treated to a concert of Summer Opera with soloists from Oxford, Cambridge and the Royal College of Music. They will perform well-loved pieces from works by Mozart, Handel and others and will be using our baby Grand Piano.
The musicians, who are all in their twenties, have backgrounds in Oxbridge and Cathedral choirs, as well as undertaking recitals and opera roles. They are:
- Alex Lloyd (Soprano, former Choral Bursar, Exeter College, Oxford, and Choral Scholar, Pusey House, Oxford)
- Michael Duffy (Tenor, former Academical Clerk, Magdalen College, Oxford)
- Guy Hayward (Baritone, former Choral Scholar, Trinity College, Cambridge and recitalist)
- Michael Davies (Baritone, Winner of the Wagner Society's Bayreuth Bursary 2009/10)
- Richard Moore (Piano, Organ Scholar, St John's College, Oxford)
This is definitely a date for you diary. The Stony Stratford Summer Fayre is also on August bank holiday Monday 30th August so come along to St Mary & St Giles Church at 4.00 pm for Cream Teas followed at 6.00 pm by Summer Opera. The concert is free entry with a retiring collection for the organ fund, the Cream Teas are also in aid of the organ fund.