MK Chorale have made a tradition of their early evening Christmas concerts - an hour of music followed by mulled wine and mince pies. For their 21 December 2019 concert, the programme was chosen by their conductor Mark Jordan, who noted that he was keeping organist and pianist Alex Aitken busy with going up and down the stairs, all the congregational carols were accompanied on the organ as well as two of the pieces sung by the choir only.
The Night before Christmas (Clement Clarke Moore) - read by David Talks
- O Come all ye faithful (JF Wade arr David Willcocks)
- O Radiant Dawn (James MacMillan) - with piano
- Gaudete (trad)
A very special time of year (Gervase Phinn) - read by Gill Wood
- O Little town of Bethlehem (English Trad, v4 descant Mark Jordan)
- I saw three ships (arr David Willcocks) - with piano
- The Angel Gabriel (arr Edgar Pittman) - with piano
- In the Bleak Midwinter (Harold Darke) - with organ and soloists
Party Night (U A Fanthorpe) - read by Will Swann
- While Shepherds Watched (trad arr David Willcocks)
- Christmas night (arr John Rutter - based on a 16th century French tune) - with organ
- Deck the Halls (arr Mark Jordan) - with piano
Tiny wooden figures (Rick Cotton) - read by Jean Rigby
- I wish you Christmas (John Rutter) - with piano
- Jingle Bells (arr David Willcocks)
- Hark the Herald Angels sing (Felix Mendelssohn, v3 arr David Willcocks)
The choir finished the concert by singing ‘We wish you a merry Christmas’.
There were more than 200 people of all ages in the audience however the choir members had brought plenty of mince pies.
Words and photos by Anna Page