On Thursday 17th August, Jacob Collins played all four of his instruments (Violin, Piano, Viola and Organ) at SMSG for an enjoyable and welcome lunchtime concert.
He played quite a variety of pieces ranging from Bach's Toccata & Fugue to The Entertainer by Scot Joplin. The wonderful music was captivating, beautiful, exciting, peaceful, majestic, elegant, and enjoyable.
The programme was as follows:
Bach - Toccata & Fugue in D minor (Organ)
- Bach - Cello concerto – movements 1, 4, and 6 (played on Viola)
- Chopin - Prelude no. 15 (also known as ‘Raindrop’ prelude) (Piano)
- Dvorak - Humoresque no. 7 (Piano)
- Eric Satie - Griossienes (Piano)
- Messenet - Meditation from Thäis (Violin)
- Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies - Song to Strangeness (Piano)
- Scot Joplin - The Entertainer (Piano)
- Klaus Badelt - Pirates of the Caribbean (Piano)
Thanks to the volunteers who served the delicious refreshments and to Jacob for playing for us. Overall we raised £115.93 for the organ maintenance fund so thanks to the audience’s generosity and support.
Words by Rosie Page, photos by Anna Page